[78-L] NBC (was: YOU)

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 14 11:23:18 PDT 2010

I didn't mean to imply that I'd seen a script where the longer name was crossed out.  I've never seen a facsimilie, only the reprints that appeared the the Invasion from Mars book published shortly after the broadcast and a book (whose names escapes me) by Howard Koch.

Both of these versions say "Columbia Broadcasting System."

Orson's use of "THE" has always stuck out in my mind.  I wonder if that's how CBS insiders may have referred to the network in conversation.

In modern usage, NBC, CBS, and ABC never have a definite article preceeding them, but the BBC almost always does!

Sammy Jones

Mike Biel wrote:
Into the 1940s there are occasional uses of NBC.  I especially like
Sammy's reminder of how Welles said "the CBS" in his War of the Worlds
closing, with an emphasis on "THE".  I am curious of what script he sees
with the longer name crossed out.  Is there a facsimile of the original?
 The script in the Sourcebook mediaFusion book has it as "the Columbia
Broadcasting System".  I don't have my other books with the script
handy.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com