[78-L] Classical 12 inch 78 albums

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 13 16:52:34 PDT 2010

From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> I'm afraid common sense is in the minority now. Any CD release is called
> an "album" these days, whether it has one disc or multiple discs. The
> "album" label was put on LPs almost from the very beginning of their
> existence. So this egregious and nonsensical error is fully engrained into
> the public's lexicon and there's nothing we can do about it.

Originally, sets of 78rpm records came in...and were thus called..."albums"
(or more accurately "album sets"). When the first 33-1/3 rpm "LP" records
were issued by Columbia, they often used recordings which had already
been issued as/on 78 "albums"...as a result the LP's were often called
"albums" as well. I have a 1952 Decca catalog which lists "album sets"
and these were sets of LP albums...!

Steven C. Barr