[78-L] How a Columbia Record is Made (silently)

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 15:46:46 PDT 2010

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "martha" <MLK402 at verizon.net>
>> I wonder if the those wearing ties around moving machinery (!) usually did
>> so, or only for the filming. (I have photos of grave diggers, working in
>> muddy holes in the rain, wearing grungy ties) ...
>>
> In this early part of the 20th century, wearing a tie spoke of one's social
> class, as did a fedora as well. My father (born late in 1908) always wore
> a dress shirt and necktie, as well as a fedora when outdoors! The "working
> classes" wore, instead, flat, billed caps...!
>
> Steven C. Barr

I recall a TV programme where they were talking about, I think, sound
engineers at the BBC in the 1930s. It seems they had to wear a suit and
tie at work, except on Fridays when they were allowed to wear a sports
jacket, (They were all men of course.)

Incidentally, there is only one working class.

      Julian Vein