[78-L] Grtacie Fields mystery song

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Tue Oct 12 08:12:27 PDT 2010

Hi, David,
Yes, it ought to be William George Haines (music hall artist and
songwriter) who wrote "Sally" and several other songs for Gracie Fields.
He also co-wrote with Michael Carr, so he could have been involved in
"Free". Maybe Carr choose to pick up the song again, after starting his
collaboration with Jimmy Kennedy (around 1934), and found new lyrics to
it? Flanagan & Allen issued their version in 1937, but there were other
versions out as early as 1936.

Here's what ASCAP has on Will (or Will E) (or W G) Haines:
http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=4801200&search_in=c&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=25&start=1
Kristjan