[78-L] Fabulous Feinstein PBS series

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Oct 11 23:51:47 PDT 2010

From: Steve Ramm <steveramm78l at hotmail.com>
> The show came out on DVD about 5 years ago and I reviwed it then. It's Great!
> There are LOTS of bunuses on the DVd. There should be "used" copies on Half.com
> and Amazon. A must have!   Steve

I recall the old series and I must have recorded it, but I think we are
talking about two DIFFERENT series.

I just ordered the ONLY DVD copy on Amazon of what might be the original
2002 production aired in 2003, but the numbered track-list of the
program elements is completely different from what was seen in episode
one last week.  The listing here seems chronological with nothing about
Feinstein himself, while the program last week has a LOT of segments
about him, his collection, his collecting activities and travel, and
shows several of his performances.  The episode discusses the performing
styles of music in the 50s comparing it with the 40s.  EVERY description
I see of the current series discusses it as a new production.

Although the description gives a 2003 release date and there are reviews
from that time, looking an an enlargement of the rear of the case shows
a 2010 copyright date!!  As I am getting a used-like new copy, perhaps
mine will have an original cover with the original date and the original
series.  The photo shows a plastic case but the photo on the Barnes and
Noble site shows a cardboard snap edge case.  The photos on it are
printed in blue.  The illustrations showing the current 2010 2-disc set
which is twice as expensive looks NOTHING like the old cover, which is
still available on VHS on Amazon.

We'll see what we get when it comes.  I am getting it free on bonus
certificate anyway.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbi8el.com