[78-L] runout spirals

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Oct 8 23:30:10 PDT 2010

From: Royal Pemberton <ampex354 at gmail.com>

> No, those are called drive pin holes, and served only to
> prevent slippage of discs while cutting.

If you tried cutting a lead out circle with the disc in a driving hole
you will find that the swing of the eccentric is HUGE!!!!  Plus the
cutting of eccentric lead outs predates the use of lacquers by well over
a decade.  And modern lacquers no longer have the driving holes because
modern lathes use vacuum suction to hold the disc to the turntable.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com