[78-L] Classical 12 inch 78 albums

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Oct 8 18:05:27 PDT 2010

> From: mbiel at mbiel.com
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 17:55:09 -0700
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Classical 12 inch 78 albums
>
> From: Dan Van Landingham <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
> > I once owned a Victor 12 inch of the Bach-Gounod arrangement of
> > "Ave Maria" with Schubert's "Ave Maria" on the reverse.
>
> This is not an album. It is just one record. Albums are books with
> several records in pockets.

I'm afraid common sense is in the minority now. Any CD release is called an "album" these days, whether it has one disc or multiple discs. The "album" label was put on LPs almost from the very beginning of their existence. So this egregious and nonsensical error is fully engrained into the public's lexicon and there's nothing we can do about it.

Cary Ginell