[78-L] runout spirals

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 10:06:20 PDT 2010

I'd think that would be how a lot of eccentric grooves were cut, with the
disc offset.  The only mastering lathe I've ever seen, a Neumann AM 32,
actually had a latching arrangement on the underside of the turntable that
permitted offsetting it to permit cutting eccentric grooves.  (Once upon a
time, I tried to get the guy who owned the lathe to cut me a disc with an
eccentric groove at the end but he refused, citing the hassles of getting
the platter re-centred and perfectly balanced again....)