[78-L] How a Columbia Record is Made

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Thu Oct 7 15:27:47 PDT 2010

--

The recordings Stravinsky made in 1928 were "Firebird" and "Rite Of
Spring" in Paris and "Petrushka" in London.

As for "Firebird": The ballet instrumentation of "Firebird" (1910) had
xylophone and three harps, and the first of the Concert Suites (1911)
kept the original orchestration. But the 1919 reworking had only one harp.
According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Stravinsky
the 1928 recording of "Firebird" was of the "Original Concert suite",
which could mean the 1911 version with three harps.

Petrushka has xylophone and two harps, but as Bob points out, for
recording purposes it could well have been three.

What should settle the matter is the sign: "Please do not attempt to
enter this room while the red light is glowing" which is written in
English, not in French.

But Californian pianist, music teacher and writer Scott Foglesong writes:
"The /Firebird/ was recorded at the Columbia studios in the Théâtre des
Champs-Elysées on November 8-10, 1928. The release was a major event;
French Columbia threw a big gala celebrating the recording, including a
bit of silent film of Stravinsky conducting -- which I'm including here:"

An "here" is this webpage:
http://www.scottfoglesong.com/examiner/stravinsky_on_the_podium_and_at_the_piano_1.html
So what do you know?

Kristjan