[78-L] How a Columbia Record is Made (silently)

H D Goldman thedoctor at discdoc.com
Thu Oct 7 12:19:04 PDT 2010

Hi Michael,

From our experience it is far better for both the record & reproducer to not use the automatic brake at all.  It's quite easy to remove the piece from the motor board.  Though many on the list abhor playing discs on antique equipment there are 2 alterations to stock machines that will greatly enhance performance. These changes, using cleaned discs & proper needles will significantly extend both the quality of sound & the life of the disc.

The first is to remove several bearing from each side of the pivot bar to transform the arrangement from a sleeve-type bearing to a roller bearing support.  Depending upon the reproducer, using a slightly larger bearing makes the swap over easier.

The second non-permanent, non-defacing modification is to reposition the collar that mates the arm tube & reproducer together in such a manner that permits you to correct the lateral & vertical tracking angles which are grossly off in stock machines.  You're welcome to contact me off list for a description of how this can be  accomplished.

Regards,

Duane Goldman

On Oct 7, 2010, at 1:06 PM, Michael Shoshani wrote:

> snip
> One thing I noticed on my Victrola with automatic brake: if you set it
> using the inner eccentric groove, when you started the turntable the
> part that was tripped actually cocked back the distance between the
> grooves. The inner groove "set" the brake, but the outer groove actually
> tripped it.

snip

H D Goldman Lagniappe Chemicals Ltd.
PO Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141 USA