[78-L] How a Columbia Record is Made (silently)

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 7 07:17:12 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 10:10 -0400, David Lennick wrote:

> Columbia manufactured 33RPM records for theater use prior to the EMI merger.
> Intermission music, dubbed from existing 78s..one never knows.

Speaking of record manufacture, watch part 2a. It shows a surprisingly
candid look at how the laminated records were pressed: the actual
surface material is in pre-cut sheets, but the record core is the same
old macadam biscuit, heated up and scrape-folded just like everyone else
did.

(I'm only kidding about the biscuit being macadam. Everyone knows that
only US Decca pressed their records in that.)