[78-L] How a Columbia Record is Made (silently)

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 7 07:02:52 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 09:54 -0400, David Lennick wrote:
> I wonder if this had a synchronized sound track on discs? Seems odd that they'd
> make a silent film in 1928 with all that sound and fury in the orchestra.

I was actually wondering the same thing, given that we see the orchestra
going at it furiously and all. 1929's "Blackmail" was Britian's first
sound feature, but I wonder whether experimental sound shorts were made
earlier.

...I mean, Blumlein was experimenting with EVERYTHING in those days, and
he was with Columbia before the EMI merger....