[78-L] Groove Scum

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Oct 6 12:33:14 PDT 2010

The gunk on your stylus is NOT DIRT.  It is RECORD.  If the record is
"seemingly unplayed" why are you washing it?????  And why would you EVER
use a toothbrush on a record?  Ever.  Shellac records must never ever be
played wet or even damp.  If you do, and you get that gunk on your
stylus, you will never ever be able to play that record normally again.
I have mentioned a tip column in one of the last issues of Stereo Review
by an apparent blithering idiot Ian G. Masters who described playing his
78s wet because he found he had troubles playing them any other way!
(He seems to have had a website, also now apparently as defunct as
Stereo Review, which mentions that he is Canadian.  For what it's
worth.)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com