[78-L] Long playing early lacquer

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Oct 6 12:08:05 PDT 2010

I can't believe that all of you are forgetting the Columbia ARC "Longer
Playing Record" as well as the Durium Hit of the Week 5-minute record.
Both are around 1931-32 and were the 78 answers to the Program
Transcription.  Frank L. Dyer had taken out several patents in the late
20s about thinner grooves and even threatened his former employer Edison
with suits over their LP and the RayEdiphonic slow-speed broadcast
recordings.  Indeed, if you look at the Library of Congress Talking
Books label you will see that they are noted as being made under the
Dyer patents and that the discs are part of a project named after (I
believe) Dyer's mother.  Those discs are made using the Victor Program
Transcription grooving, as evidenced by the L in the first position in
the matrix prefix.  I looked up those Dyer patents a month or so ago,
and they are valid narrow groove patents.

I might also add that there are some listings in the Bell Labs BTL
matrix book from around 1927 detailing several narrow groove test discs
they made for Victor.  I saw a photocopy of the book listing BTL 1-1000
in LC in the 1970s.  (Note that this book post-dates the Western
Electric recordings made in the early to mid-20s before the
establishment of Bell Labs.)

I am interested in that July 1934 lacquer, and am wondering if it might
be from the same studio of the discs seen very briefly in Leah's
documentary when Seth Winner is showing a box of discs.  They ones with
bright green paper labels are from July-Aug 1934 and look like they
might be demo blanks that Presto was releasing to a few studios for
evaluation.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com