[78-L] Repairing cracked records

Malcolm - Venerable Music malcolm at venerablemusic.com
Mon Oct 4 04:00:37 PDT 2010

Hey Glenn - I recently found a rare Ray Brothers country record on Bluebird
for a $1, but it was cracked through a lot like this Blind Blake - maybe
even a little worse.
You could definitely see light through the crack at least 3/4 of the way
through the side. I had been holding some other similarly cracked, but
common records for awhile to test on and finally came up with a decent
method using a heat gun, grease pencil and razor.

First I would lay the record on a flat surface with the heat gun on one hand
and the grease pencil in the other. The heat gun will soften the pencil
enough to drag along the surface of the crack. Be as careful as you can not
to get too much of the pencil wax into the actual grooves as you can easily
make it noisier than it was with the exposed crack.
After I have covered the crack, I shave the excess with a straight razor to
get the wax & the top of grooves at the same level.
I then apply some more light heat to slightly soften the wax again & bring
it over to an old victrola to re-cut the groove through the wax.
Don't use too much heat at this last step or it will melt the wax into the
grooves causing noisy playback. Once the wax has dried, there is no need to
use glue.

Of course it will not play like a new record, but it will turn a nasty
thumping crack into a lightly ticking one. This also only really works if
the crack is big! If you can not see light through the crack, applying the
wax will only make it worse.

I also tried epoxy once (read some other online tutorials) and completely
destroyed the record I was working on - so I don't recommend it! The wax is
somewhat forgiving & epoxy is not!

Malcolm in GA

Venerable Music - http://www.venerablemusic.com/
78rpm Auctions - http://www.vmauctions.com/