[78-L] Removing stickers on labels

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sun Oct 3 19:00:25 PDT 2010

To remove stickers from paper, I first try "wasbenzine" (Dutch; the English translation
seems to be benzene), prob. sold in supermarkets.
A certain type of lime, used on many price stickers, easily dissolves into the benzene,
and how wet the paper becomes, it does not damage paper (like water does).
Some limes, however, do not dissolve in benzene.

I did an experiment with brown tape put on a paper envelope. The benzene (applied
with cotton-wool or kitchen paper) did not dissolve the lime, but it crept under the tape
and softened the lime. When sufficiently soft, the tape could be peeled off from the
underground. Probably some lime remains on the paper labels, but is now more easily
attacked.
It has to be checked that the printing ink on the labels does not dissolve (normal ink
is no problem, and I use benzene also in books, but some inks or colours may dissolve).

You also can ask at a chemist/pharmacy shop for solvents to try. Like turpentine (and
again check if it doesn't damage the printing ink).

Han Enderman