[78-L] Odd Gennett pressing #2

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 30 11:32:02 PDT 2010

For what it's worth, from http://www.regoirishrecords.com/t-about.aspx :

"The founding of the Irish Recording Industry may be single-handedly credited to Leitrim born Ellen O'Byrne-De Witt who proposed to Columbia Records that they make an authentic Irish Record. Previously all “Irish” records were made by “stage Irish”. She then arranged for Eddie Hebron and John Wheeler to record "The Stack of Barley" on September 15th 1916. She sold the record door to door in her New York City neighborhood and in the store bearing her name. In 1916 Ellen hyphenated her name and put it up over her store, something unheard of at in that era. She started an industry. Ellen passed in 1925 and soon after the O'Byrne-DeWitt family moved the business to the Irish immigration hotspot of Boston and began to release records on their own label - first called O'Byrne DeWitt, then "All Ireland Label", then in 1953 it became: COPLEY RECORDS. The greatest artists of the era recorded on Copley and became stars not only in America but back home in Ireland as well as Copley supplied record stores and Irish shops the world over."

Roger Wade
Really Old Records

http://www.reallyoldrecords.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Really-Old-Records?RefID=store