[78-L] Castle Record photo links

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Sep 29 16:16:32 PDT 2010

I already mentioned the Castle labels (see below).
Oooff - I should have said ARLD, not ARLIE (prewar) of course.
At first I also thought it might be the Portland label but this is not the case.
You immediately recognize the Portland "dixieland" issues (and see Ty's list of them!).

Michelle's Castle label is different from the 5 labels in ARLD.
It looks like a cheap issue. Were these tunes popular at some time in the early 50s?
Not clear if "Bobby Linn" is an actual artist or a pseudonym.
I found one other recording under this name:
- Bobby Linn with Graham Prince - Cadillac 139.
There seems to be no relation between Cadillac and Castle.
So Michelle's record is among the rarest records known (only a single copy found by
collectors), and thus more uncommon than most Paramounts. Well, bid on it....

Han Enderman
===
>>> ARLIE lists 5 Castle labels (no prewar Castle known).
1) New York 1948-49, with 500/1000/2000 series. Jazz/gospel/R&B.
2) California 1949-51. 1100-1600 series. Pop.
3) Portland, OR. Ca.1948-1951. Traditional jazz. Issues (1 unn.-)2-15. Listed in Ty's ODP.
4) Poss. Detroit 1955 (r&b). No issues reported.
5) Boonton, NJ. A 500 series from 1958-59 and thus poss. only 45rpm. Pop.

Re these series:
1) Pres. this label issued Castle 500/501 with the Chu Berry-Charlie Ventura ts duets.
 Other issues in the 500 & 1000 series never seen. An image of 2000 has
"Castle Records, Inc." along the upper rim and in large capitals "Spirituals" as (kind of)
label name.
2) Abbott & Costello issues (with picture labels) in a 1200 series (started at ca.1250?)
are fairly common. In 1200-1500 series (mxs with CA/CAS prefix on label) also
Jimmie & Ruth Dodd, Cyril Smith ("How Fights Start In Saloons"), Vallee with
Benny Krueger, Slim Coates.
There are 2 label types: A single star at 12h & label name in upper case (no castle pictured),
or 6 stars along the upper rim and the label name in script letters.
3) I have images of the not uncommon Portland label (most issues except 1 & 14).
Mx.nrs with HF prefix. Printed in blue & red, except unnumbered first issue(s).
Usually Monte Ballou present.
4 & 5) Never seen.

The mentioned Castle C-14 does not fit into these series it seems.
If it is possible to send me 1 or 2 label picture(s) I would much appreciate that.

Han Enderman
===
>>> I have some old 78 rpm's I was going through. I have one that I am having an issue with. The record label is Castle Records (unsure which Castle records) it's a dark blue label. side C-14A is Honeymoon (Lucy M. Grady - Lew Tobin) Vocalist: Bobby Linn    Orchestra: Herbert Preston   side C-14B is  In Cherry Blossom Time (Jarrell H. Flemings - Lew Tobin) Vocalist: Bobby Linn   Orchestra: Herbert Preston.  I would love to find out the date of this recording and which Castle records. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Michelle
<<<
==="Break Resistant Under Normal Use" puts it in the late 40s to early 50s. There
are 5 "Castle" labels listed in the American Record Label Directory for the
period 1940-1960. The one located in Portland, Oregon between 1948 and 1951 has
single and double digit catalog numbers that could fit. ARLD lists it as a jazz
label..is this a jazz record or pop?

dl

On 9/29/2010 5:47 PM, MichelleS wrote:
> Below is links to both sides of the Castle Record I am trying to find info on.
> Honeymoon:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oAC8LLePcaMH19YDoKUorGvhRLShlv68X7LM0qHIEV0?feat=directlink
> In Cherry Blossom Time:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eEEWwH0e7cBxYd0ifzvp3GvhRLShlv68X7LM0qHIEV0?feat=directlink