[78-L] eBay rules

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Wed Sep 29 12:54:25 PDT 2010

Recently I entered a $16 bid on a 78 record that was listed on eBay with
a ten-cent minimum bid.  Since no one else bid on it, I won it for ten
cents, plus $5 shipping.

So I paid the $5.10 and considered myself lucky, although I confess I
was vaguely nervous about having won it at such a low price -- nervous
with good reason.  The seller notified me the next day that the record
had been accidentally dropped and broken and that my payment was being
refunded.

Why would anyone put such a ridiculously low minimum on anything being
auctioned?

-- Jack Raymond