[78-L] Mark Hambourg and Victor Discographys

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Sep 27 21:37:11 PDT 2010

I hope someone has the information about these records.

As I've referred to in other postings, I'm trying to find out something about
Mark Hambourg recordings.  I have the "Moonlight Sonata" complete on two Victor
records, 29005 & 29006;  I also have the second record only on British HMV
C2552, (Plum label with coloured dog).  In both cases, the 4th side filler is
Beethoven's Variations on "Nel Cor Piu".  These records - both the Victor and
the HMV appear to be late 20s pressings but, as dl pointed out, Victor was using
this label and groove style into the 30s.  There is certainly nothing in the
John Bolig Discographies, which only go to the end of 1929, about either of
these pieces.  The HMV, which only has the second part of the third movement of
the Moonlight on it marries perfectly to the Victor 29005 which has the first
part of the movement.  The pickup sounds the same and the tempo matches.  But
the Beethoven Variations are so different on the two recordings you wouldn't
even believe it's the same pianist - the Victor version is much faster and the
dynamics are completely different.  (WERM mentions only the HMV pressings, not
the Victor.)

I have another Mark Hambourg record which is a single sided acoustic, Victor
Number 177008.  This contains Waltz in D flat and Etude in C flat by Chopin.
 This should certainly be in the Bolig Discographies since they purport to cover
the entire acoustic era, but it's not listed there and there are no numbers
anywhere near 177008.

Does anyone out there have a more reliable source than I do and know how to find
out details about these records?

Thanks!
db