[78-L] Outside recordings

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Sep 27 12:49:14 PDT 2010

Do we consider Canadian Victor as the same company as VTMC or RCA Victor
in the U.S.?  VTMC, of course, had released recordings taken off the air
of the Lindbergh Arrival in Washington DC, and the speeches at the
Washington Monument which were made several months before the Ottawa
Canadian National Exhibition recordings.  Of course the CNE recordings
released by Canadian Victor were recordings they made, while the Compo
recordings of the event were broadcast recordings.

But a question about the Victory Tower recordings, where were the mics?
Mics could have been inside the tower, not outside.  I'm not near the
tapes the Nat'l Library of Canada sent me decades ago.  The perspective
of the sound would tell us.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think you're mixing something up here.  The Victory Tower recordings in Ottawa
had nothing to do with the CNE which, (as I'm sure you know), is in Toronto.
 The only recordings I know of from the CNE at that time are the 4 sides, 2
twelve inch Victor records, by the "Canadian National Exhibition Chorus" in
1928.  My parents sung on those records but I've never heard that they were
recorded out doors.  I have read in "Roll Back the Years" that there was also a
ten inch record with the National Anthems but I've never seen that disc.

Having heard that Carillon many times, the records certainly sound like they
have an outdoor perspective.  I have recorded a carillon from within a tower and
the sound is completely different.  Also there is traffic noise on the old
recordings.

db