No subject

Sat Sep 25 01:58:40 PDT 2010

T in Sherbrooke and CHIEF in Granby. Their first recording was a 78 rpm on =
Apex Fran=E7ais number 9-17502=2C and the response was so strong that it wa=
s necessary to make thousands more=2C [including] the 1951 45 rpm record nu=
mber 45-11615=2C with the backside devoted to the piano [solo] PIANO RAG=2C=
 by Claude Beauregard. In 1953 the family moved to Granby...

and I'm not sure what the phrase "jusqu'au d=E9ces de Celui qui L" quite me=
ans=2C but it seems to mean "and as he [Adrien Beauregard 1908-1975] has si=
nce died" --=20

[here is "La Chanson de Seraphin"] as performed today on YouTube by Claude =
Beauregard.

This does raise some additional questions. It appears that Adrien=2C Roch a=
nd Claude -- the three Beauregard family members -- made the Apex record th=
at I have found=2C but only Adrien was credited. Claude Beauregard indicate=
s that it was himself=2C rather than Adrien=2C who plays the "Piano Rag=2C"=
 but specifies that it was on the 45 rpm version=3B one might assume that h=
e also did so on the 78=2C but it would be an assumption=2C as the YouTube =
caption isn't clear on this point. One would have to find the 45 version to=
 make sure=3B was it common in Canada for 45 recordings of works that had a=
ppeared on 78s to be wholly different from the 78? =20
=20

Mr. Lennick=2C I note a tiny device under the Apex logo which reads "enregi=
str=E9 par Starr" in the typical Germanic lettering used by Gennett=2C whic=
h seems to have led the eBay seller I bought it from to believe that this w=
as an acoustical recording. It is a small label=2C silver on blue. I could =
get a scan up shortly=2C though the caption on YouTube clarifies that the r=
ecord as such was made in 1950=2C of a very local Quebecois family band=2C =
and that "La Chanson de Seraphin" was a popular number among French Canadia=
n listeners. I would certainly like to know how Compo managed to acquire ri=
ghts to the Starr name and what led them to employ it for French Canadian r=
eleases for so long=3B I didn't know that there was a relationship between =
Gennett and Compo.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com

 		 	   		  =