No subject

Sat Sep 25 01:58:40 PDT 2010

2. A blank book in which to insert autographs, memorial verses, original
drawings, or other souvenirs. According to Johnson =E2=80=98a book in which
foreigners have long been accustomed to insert the autographs of
celebrated people.=E2=80=99

4. A book for reception of photographic cartes and views, or of
postage-stamps, crests, or other things which are collected and
preserved; a scrap-book. Also attrib.

1859 All Y. Round No. 30. 79 An album full of photographs. 1878 Paper &
Print. Jrnl. xxv. 11 A still greater novelty is an album containing
twenty-four Welsh costumes. 1936 C. J. WEST Bibliog. Pulp & Paper Making
612 Changes in the composition of thick album paper and oiled paper.
1937 E. J. LABARRE Dict. Paper 97/1 Album papers and boards are cover
papers, or double thick pasted board..intended for photographic albums.

6. A long-playing gramophone record or a set of such records.

1957 Gramophone Apr. 427/2 That he was too little appreciated in his
lifetime makes this memorial album (another record is to follow) even
more..important. 1963 Oxford Mail 28 Jan. 6/6 Many jazz album covers
have little connection with the contents. 1967 Times 16 Dec. (Advt.), A
four record album with illustrated colour brochure.

> From the OED additional series ed. 1997
> (Cited from the Oxford English Dictionary, their copyright reserved).
> Rgds, Darren

Number 6 specifically states the word used for LPs, and I don't think
any of us had ever objected to an LP being called an album.  Our
objections were to singles being called albums, and almost all 78s are
singles by their nature.  Likewise I have no objections to CDs being
called either albums or records.  Cylinders are records.  The physical
form of the recording might not be a problem.  But maybe I do object to
a tape being called a record, so I do have my limits!!!

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com =20