[78-L] Mac on Bluebird

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun Sep 26 14:34:36 PDT 2010

Sorry. I wasn't finished

"The Bum Song" was recorded in Oakland on March 16, 1928 and issued on both Victor 21343 an Bluebird B-11083.

The recording made in the Hollywood Bowl was "The Bum Song, No. 2," recorded Sept. 6, 1928 and issued on Victor 21704.

Incidentally, my first ARSC talk (in 2002 Santa Barbara) was on early hillbilly recording sessions on the West Coast. I made special mention of the Hollywood Bowl recordings, which were quite unusual for the time. They were the first outdoor recordings Victor had made, and special precautions had to be taken so as not to get any extraneous sounds on the recordings. To ensure this, Victor employees were stationed in the trees in order to shoo away noisy, chirping birds. When he was still working the Victor archives, Vince Giordano sent me the session sheets from the McClintock sessions.

Cary Ginell