[78-L] Eddie Fisher

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 09:01:16 PDT 2010

In spite of the fact that he threw away a spectacular career by being far
less of a mensch, I feel bad that he has left us. My family knew him from
his Philadelphia days, and one of my uncles was part of his entourage at one
time. He disagreed with Eddie once, and that was the end of that
association.

My grandmother would tell the story that he and his mother lived across the
street and didn't have a phone, so my grandmother told them they could give
out her number. That turned out to be a big mistake; Fisher and his mother
were on that phone constantly when he started to become active as a
performer, and granny missed a lot of calls because the line was always
busy. Not only that, when the calls came in, she had to cross the street and
knock on their door to tell them that there was a call. She was still angry
about it all those years later.

He made an album with arrangements by Robert Farnon about 15 years ago, and
that tape made the rounds; I've never heard it, but copies of it are all
over the place. Nobody wanted to touch it; the arrangements were beautiful,
the singing was .............Farnon got top dollar to do that album, and he
refused to discuss it when it was done.

Jeff Sultanof