[78-L] Smeck you upside the head!

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Sep 22 11:42:03 PDT 2010

Terry Gibbs remembered this being used during a satirical swipe at Martin Denny on Steve Allen's TV show (although the word that was said was not "smock" but "schmuck"). Terry was asked to put on a Hawaiian shirt and supply Allen's cast (Bill Dana, Louis Nye, Tom Poston, Don Knotts, and a few others) with sets of vibraphone mallets. Nye walked out on stage with a pail of water while the stage manager yelled, "Quiet on the stage! Ready for the Martin Benny sketch!" While Allen played the piano, the others made obnoxious bird noises and banged on Gibbs' vibes while Nye blew into a straw in the pail, playing water. Someone else was playing armpit and everyone was yelling, "Schmuck! Schmuck! Schmuck!" Terry said all his Jewish relatives were embarrassed to hear this dirty word being yelled out by these crazy people on national television.

Cary Ginell