[78-L] [MOCAPS-L] How Victor Dealers promoted thefirstElectrically Recorded records in 1925

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Wed Sep 22 08:19:53 PDT 2010

The Orthophonic sound box has very free but steady pivots and a very thin
specially ridged aluminum alloy diaphragm which, combined with the spider
leg attachment of the needle bar, caused the diaphragm to piston in and out
rather than flex in a dome-like fashion as was with the case of the mica
diaphragm and single central attachment of the needle bar.   These design
elements along with the longer tapering path to the folded exponential horn
allowed for the reproduction of a wider frequency range.  The improved
compliance of the soundbox also allowed the needle to follow the more
complicated electrically recorded groove without stripping off information
from the groove walls.

Ron L