[78-L] The Relative Price of a Record

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 19 21:29:46 PDT 2010

I think Steve is making more money than I am these days. And yes, music is a
bargain today compared to a hundred years ago, and that was at a time when
ASCAP hadn't been formed to collect royalties for the poor zhlubs who wrote the
songs. Prices were all over the place, and often upwardly mobile. I've just
been looking at some Canadian Starr Gennetts which had the prices printed on
the labels..substantial increases within a few catalogue numbers. 4563 sold for
90 cents, then 4679 cost a dollar. By 4705 they'd given up listing the prices.
And twelve-inchers 3005 and 3012 sold for $1.50 and $1.65 respectively.

But Victor sold Red Seals for high prices because they COULD, and because folks
bought the records. Decca began the price cutting with its red label 75-cent
classical pressings from old Odeon masters, even when the same recordings were
still in print on beautiful laminated Columbia pressings at double the
price..you sacrificed an album and no surface noise for budget music. Then
along came the well recorded and well-pressed "World's Greatest" sets in 1939,
with top flight artists performing anonymously, and a year later Columbia and
Victor dropped the price of classical records to a buck, drop automatic
changers became common, the quality of pressing went to hell and so did the
taste of the American public. To hell with Artur Schnabel, gimme that bum Jose
Iturbi mangling Chopin.

Also spracht Lenny.