[78-L] "Boardwalk Empire" WOW!

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 19 21:26:45 PDT 2010

Ah, Lennick if you had a DVR you could have watched the end of Boardwalk
Empire and delayed the start of Mad Men until it was over, with the added
benefit of being able to fast forward through the commercials!

I noticed the flutter on the Sophie Tucker cylinder and remarked on it to my
brother.  I initially thought they doctored the recording to make it sound
worse, but then thought it was probably from a cylinder...

Did anybody notice the jokes "Eddie Cantor" was telling were from his 1922
Columbia recording of "Oh, is She Dumb!"?  Hearing "I Never Knew I Had a
Wonderful Wife" at the end was a surprise.  I wonder if the Cantor
impersonator will make recurring appearances.  A nice touch.

The music was great all around, especially the modern performances of jazz
numbers.

Sammy Jones

dl wrote:
And you heard Sophie from a CYLINDER, don't forget. But it was the old
fluttery
transfer I remember playing in the sixties.

Fabulous stuff. I'll catch the last 15 minutes of it tomorrow. Curses and a
plague on HBO for running it into Mad Men's time.

Our buddy Vince Giordano is part of the live music..no doubt he's lending
some
authenticity to the record selections as well.

dl (who also signed on to get HBO this week)

On 9/19/2010 10:33 PM, Bill Knowlton wrote:

> Hey, this new HBO series got the music RIGHT!! Acoustic 78s from the early
20s where "Boardwalk Empire".

> I heard Whiteman's "Whispering," Sophie Tucker's "Some Of These Days,"
Caruso, "Japanese Sandman" and other great stuff.

> I spotted the first Victor Talking Machine with an inside horn and I think
the morning glory horn machine was NOT a crap-o-phone.

> I specifically signed back on to HBO for this and I'm glad I did!
>
> BILL KNOWLTON, "Bluegrass Ramble," Sundays: 9 pm to midnight (EST) over
WCNY-FM (91.3) Syracuse, WUNY (89.5) Utica, WJNY (90.9) Watertown NY, also:
www.wcny.org udmacon1 at hotmail.com  Since 1973! PO Box 2400, Syracuse NY
13220-2400. 315-457-6100
> "BLUEGRASS RAMBLE" semi-annual fundraiser, to keep the show alive and well
into its 38th year, is Sunday night Oct 3rd. An all oldtime, pre-bluegrass
show, this time featuring my favorite stuff from the 20s and 30s and the
Young Fogies keeping pre-bluegrass country music alive today. That night
please call 1-800-451-9269 to make your pledge, or do it via www.wcny.org
THANK YOU!!!!