[78-L] Willie the Whale (was Changing Speeds) how did they do that?!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Sep 18 15:34:05 PDT 2010

  On 9/18/2010 5:20 PM, Rodger Holtin wrote:
> Right - and it's the "speed they've calculated the new track needs to be recorded" at that is the big question for me.

In the film world they measure in feet per minute.  Standard 24 frame
35mm film runs at 90 feet per minute (18 inches per second).  The verbal
slates on the WOOz recordings announce the feet per minute the film is
running at.  To stay on key they sing in whatever key the orchestral or
piano track come at them in the headphones.  If they had infinitely
variable equipment they could match that playback to piano notes by the
arranger.   Modern Harmonizers like the Eventide actually have their
readouts calculated in key pitches, and there are charts for calculating
from percentages to keys.  Half and double speed are easy because that
is exactly one octave.

Mike Biel mbiel at mbiel.com