[78-L] Changing speeds [was: Newly-pressed Bix Beiderbecke 78]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Sep 18 13:03:19 PDT 2010

  We also discussed the controversy around Stewart Hamblin's Cowboy
Church Sunday School choir recordings which seem to be speeded up
slightly to make an older teen age group sound like 9 year olds.
Hamblin never admitted to it.  I found out from a reissue producer that
the original master tape is a 7-inch reel at 7 1/2 IPS that Hamblin
submitted to Decca.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com