[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Sep 17 21:16:22 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> And it was none of the above in the early fifties..I used the phrase in
> the
> wrong context. What I really meant was "pop" and the trend in the early
> 50s to
> cannibalize folk, R&B and country music and whitewash it. I think folk
> tended
> to survive the adaptation best.

Essentially, the 1947-195? period was the nadir of North American
"popular music!" After a few years of hopelessly-boring "music?!"
(From "Buttons and Bows" onward?!), the public...especially the
younger public...was desperate for music which contained/inspired
FUN! From c. 1950 to sometime in 1955, we were subjected to
effectively "thought-free" "music?!" No wonder that when Alan
Freed introduced "rock'n'roll" music (mostly then-current "race"
music...?!, a musically-starved younger generation enthusiastically
accepted the concept...?!

Steven C. Barr