[78-L] 1905 COLUMBIA RECORD Label Printing Anomaly

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Sep 17 19:21:04 PDT 2010

Actually this is a label type that is not in Sherman-Nauck "Note the Notes".
I have a very similar image of 12584, but this has 'Berlin' instead of Vienna.

The main label type here is Sherman's III.B (COLUMBIA PHONOGRAPH CO.
along upper rim), but the "Condition" is omitted, as in type IV
(Columbia Record - Grand Prize), so your type is intermediate between
III.B.2.a and IV.A.
More common are labels with Milan-London-New York (for ex., 10605).

What is the meaning of the first location? Does it refer to the place of
recording or were such records exported?

Han Enderman
===

Greetings.  I just acquired a small group of pre-1910 Columbia label records and found an interesting anomaly on COLUMBIA PHONOGRAPH CO record # 12511, an Austro-Hungarian recording.  At the top under the company name, usually it says LONDON - NEW YORK in a nice arc, but this one says VIENNA - LONDON - NEW YORK, where the last 2 cities lettering is neatly arc shaped but VIENNA is a straight line at an angle.  You can view the label here:

http://78records.cdbpdx.com/New09-13-10/Pics/tn-650_ColPhon_12511.JPG

Probably normal, just thought it was interesting.

CDB
<<<