[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!! ^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Sep 17 17:49:05 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Mention my name in Sheboygan. I used to work in Sheboygan, in a department
> store.
> SpelCheq doesn't recognize Sheboygan..thinks I mean shenanigan or shebang
> or
> shebeen or shenyang.
> dl

Sheboyagan (like Manitowoc, Menominee, Mukwanago, Ottumwa and even
Oshawa...!) is/was a case where us "palefaces" simply adopted the "native
American" name...! The REALLY odd case is here in Oshawa...when the
Canadian Post Office refused to accept "Skae's Corners" as an official
name...Moody Farewell, an original settler, simply asked his "Indian"
friends what THEY called the place!

They were all at the place where Oshawa Creek is crossed by King
Street (the E-W "main drag!"). The natives answered "Oshawa"
which literally translates as "where we get out and walk" (IOW,
the northernmost limit of canoes being able to traverse Oshawa
Creek!)!

The irony comes from the Canadian HQ of General Motors being
located in a town called "Where we have to get out and walk"...?!
Admittedly, the name nearly became more accurate recently as
"Great Depression---the Sequel" necessitated governmental
rescue of the auto-mobile industry...?!

Steven C. Barr