[78-L] Newly-pressed Bix Beiderbecke 78

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Fri Sep 17 16:44:56 PDT 2010

To quote Mr. Peavey, "Well now, I wouldn't say that, Mr. Gildersleeve."

In pressing the records, I found that *almost* anything is possible --
for a price! Pressing any kind of records these days doesn't come
cheap, especially such a customized job as a 10-inch 78 rpm two-record
set! I regret that the per unit price is as high as it is (US $29 per
set, postpaid in the US), but that's scarcely above production costs.
Cost-wise, it really doesn't make sense to make a 78 these days. In my
case, I decided that I didn't care if I never made a dime on the
records; I put in a lot of time and effort recording the pieces and I
wanted the satisfaction of seeing them as a pair of newly-pressed 78s.
Of course, I do hope to sell enough to offset most of the costs of
making them.

To answer your second question, the records are stereo and use a
microgroove (LP) stylus. I said *almost* anything is possible, and
after asking around, I found that no one offers master cutting with an
old-style standard 78 groove at a professional-quality level. In
addition, since no one offers shellac pressing and even a standard-
groove vinyl pressing would have to be played with a lightweight
pickup, I figured there was no real need to insist on old-fashioned
standard grooving.

Bryan W.