[78-L] Another early Squueze Me recording

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 13:13:35 PDT 2010

Jeff Lichtman wrote:
> Again, according to 78discography.com, Bessie Smith recorded Squeeze
> Me in 1926, which contradicts Lissauer's composition date of 1928.
> Which is right?
>
>                         -        Jeff Lichtman
>                                  jeff at swazoo.com
>                                  Check out Swazoo Koolak's Web Jukebox at
>                                  http://swazoo.com/

According to Lord, this is the earliest version, assuming it's the same
tune:

Squeeze me
[B419-10] Buster Bailey
Buster Bailey (cl) solos acc. by Clarence Todd (p) Buddy Christian (bj)
New York, May 20-27, 1925
6023-3    Papa de da da    Ban 1563, Oriole 442
6024-1    Squeeze me       -            -   , Hist Rec 25
Note: Oriole 442 issued as by Billy Ward.
Both above titles also on Classics (F)904 [CD] titled "Buster Bailey
1925-1940"; see following sessions to June, 1940 and Jerry Kruger for
rest of CD.

      Julian Vein