[78-L] Layers of lacquer?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Sep 17 08:06:50 PDT 2010

  On 9/17/2010 10:21 AM, Thatcher Graham wrote:
> I have definitely seen acetates whose lacquer was laid down in multiple
> layers.  When the label falls or peels off  it sometimes reveasl an area
> of irregular coverage with plainly visible layers.

Of course they were not acetate.  The material was Cellulose Nitrate, so
if you don't call them lacquers, they would have been called "Nitrates".

The discs described above were dipped.  The irregular edge on the blank
center comes from the rubber separators between the discs as they were
put on a long rod for dipping into the vat of lacquer.  Most of the home
grade discs were made this way with the center part covered by a paper
label.  This also was the second technique used by Presto in the 1937-39
era when they painted a green "seal" on the center.  I believe these
were made in their first New Jersey factory under the Pulaski Skyway.

The first Presto discs in 1934, and also the Cecil Watts Marguerite
Sound Studios (MSS) discs, were sprayed.  Watts and his wife did them by
hand, and the first Prestos were also done by hand but that might have
been automated after a while.  Presto's Morris Gruber's brother died
when he lit a cigarette right outside the spraying room and he inhaled
the burning gasses which resulted.  These discs were made in their
Brooklyn location.

Presto's third and longest-standing technique was done in their Route 4
Paramus New Jersey factory.  The discs were on a conveyor belt and
passed thru a curtain of falling lacquer which were controlled by
knifeblades.  The discs would dry while on the belt which ran the length
of the long building.  The higher grade discs would get more layers of
lacquer.  After a curing period of a day or days, the other side would
be coated.

AudioDiscs were made by applying a sheet of solidified lacquer to the
aluminum base.  It is why these discs are more likely to flake off in
large chunks.

As was mentioned by dl, some of the mastering grade discs would be sold
with a preferred side.  This came in the quality control section.  They
weren't designed to be single sided, it just enabled them to sell you at
a discount a disc that had a slight flaw in only one of the sides,
rather than trashing the disc or downgrading it to the lower price
grade.  In general, Presto and the others used only one grade of
lacquer, and the price was based on the thickness of the aluminum base,
the extra thickness of more lacquer layers, and quality control
decisions.  For a single playback you could get away with a lower grade
than you would use for mastering.  If you were mastering you would only
be using one side anyway, and you would never flip a disc over if one
side had been on the turntable surface.

During the war there were companies which would take your old aluminum
discs and strip them and recoat them. Some of these coated only one
side.  Just like Hit of the Week which was coated on only one side, this
would potentially compromise the flatness of the disc although I don't
recall seeing any problems with these.  Some of the European discs in
the 1933-35 era had a painted second side, and you had to be VERY
careful not to confuse the dark blue paint for the coating.  This was
done on some of the discs that were coated with gelatin instead of
lacquer, but it might also be on some of the MSS discs.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com