[78-L] Gracie Fields puzzlement

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 16 19:58:38 PDT 2010

On 9/16/2010 6:24 PM, Han Enderman wrote:
> Vic(C) 120927-B as by Gracie Fields / With Orch. cond. by Ben Frankel
> (but LMS 334 gives only H. Parr-Davies at the piano).
> Mx 0GF-6 "Land Of Hope And Glory" is on 120927 as "With Choir, Organ&  Orchestra".
>
> Apparently these Vic(C)s were issued much later, since 120920 has 17-Nov-39 titles
> and 120930 has 15-May-40 recordings. Is LMS release date known?
LMS contains dubs from Rex and RZ originals, done by Decca and Columbia
respectively. Easy to put an approximate date to the dubs since the Columbias
are mats. P30801/4, putting them in early 1941. The Canadian Victors are in the
1941 catalogue.
> Vic 120931 Stop and Shop at the Co-op. Shop / The Birthday  Song on label as
> With Piano, Recorded in England from a Broadcast.
> Why did they make a special GF mx series?
 > Han Enderman

Star treatment, maybe? Or perhaps to separate them from regular RZs which had
no automatic North American outlet, although Columbia may have had first refusal.

dl