[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Sep 16 19:53:24 PDT 2010

From: "Tim Huskisson" <timhuskisson at btinternet.com>
> There's no Country music with sophisticated chord sequences or interesting
> harmony - not that I'm aware of anyway. ESPECIALLY Bluegrass. That's not a
> criticism. The idiom does not lend itself to 'interesting chord
> sequences'.
> I'm not a fan of Country Music, but that's not because of the simple chord
> progressions.

"Country" music is based on Anglo-Celtic folk music, which was played and
created by "folks" who were musically "ignorant" by more sophisticated
musical standards...! OTOH, MUCH "classical" music is chordally minimal...
one doesn't hear a lot of "flatted thirteenths" in 18th century classical
works...?!

The "disturbing" reality is the harsh fact that "western" (European and
North American") music is effectively defined! There are chords and
chord sequences that are "acceptable"...and others which aren't...?! If
one listens to "ethnic" music...one encounters chords and even notes
that would never have been heard in our music...?!

Steven C. Barr