[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 14:19:57 PDT 2010

Bill McClung wrote:
> Several years ago I played my first Bull Moose Jackson on King and it was a
> ballad that I stopped about thirty seconds in.  And so for a long time that
> was my impression of Bull Moose Jackson.  And I was so very wrong.  So now I
> try very hard not to judge a performer by a single side or a single label or
> single decade. The same applies to genres.
>
> I know almost nothing about classical 78s and not much more about Edisons
> and I plan to start my exploration of them after I am done with blues and
> bebop and hokum and big band and gospel and western swing and cajun
> and.............well, it may be a while).  But I can't see the point in
> making a pronouncement about something I don't know much about.   I make
> enough mistakes talking about stuff I think I do know.  I recently learned
> to spell accordian correctly.
>
> Julian,
> The Basie Columbias and Clefs are better as a whole than the Deccas but the
> Deccas do have Shorty George and Jumping at the Woodside and One O'clock
> Jump.  There are some good sides there.
>
> I can't really speak to Moten but I do think Ella did some wonderful sides
> (the simplicity of It's Only a Paper Moon or the spunk of Ain't Nobody's
> Business in her duet with Louis Jordan).  I think Ella was incredibly
> over-exposed and that her Decca 78s contained an incredible number of poorly
> chosen songs.
>
> I started down my list of country 78s and blues 78s to give you some
> suggestions and just started laughing because of the incredible variety of
> styles and because of the incredible cross overs between the two genres.
> Lonnie Johnson.  Jimmy Reed.  T-Bone Walker.  Magic Sam.  Tampa Red.  Merle
> Travis.   All different styles within the same genre.  Maybe you just
> haven't gone as deeply into this as you have with other genres or
> performers.
>
> And Cary could have mentioned Milton Brown who truly blurs the lines among
> many genres and who never, ever whined and who I think you would like.
Bill,
I did exclude western swing from my criticism. In fact, I have most of
the LP and CD reissues of the genre, plus about 100 78s. I also have
most of the Hoosier Hot Shots 78s, but I don't think they count as
"country" or "hillbilly".

Regarding Basie, I was referring to the early Deccas.

I didn't reject Ella on the basis of one record. I've been listening to
her for over half a century, and still don't find her appealing.

       Julian Vein