[78-L] 78rpm Podcast.

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 09:10:18 PDT 2010

Spats wrote:
>   Dear Rockined!
>
> I'm afraid my otherwise very wide taste in music does require the
> following....great melodies based on interesting chord sequences...so
> Country music certainly will not be found on my show.
>
> As for the Blues, well, the occasional one, usually of the
> sophisticated Jazz type might appear, but not too often.
>
> Have you actually LISTENED to the show yet?
>
> Earl.
>
>> No Hillbilly?? No Blues??  sorry no interest :(
>> playlist does look interesting though

I have the same general feeling about country music (apart from western
swing) and blues. I find them both harmonically limited, although I do
like piano blues. Blues players like Lonnie Johnson and Big Bill Broonzy
would appeal to me much more if they were to shut up and feature their
guitar playing! Many years ago someone likened Johnson's singing to that
of an Irish tenor--I could never take it seriously after that. The only
Broonzy I like is his guitar playing and the stuff he did with jump
bands in the late 1930s.

Someone else commented that he can't be bothered listening through
boring singing to hear a few bars of guitar--my sentiment precisely.

Yes, Earl, I did hear your latest show. Will get round to the earlier ones.

       Julian Vein