[78-L] Never Know What You'll Find

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 06:04:38 PDT 2010

Tyrone Settlemier wrote:
> Very nice!  Many thanks for the scans.  I've not run across the Lighthouse
> or Mirror labels before.  I hope you post the Sid Catlett on Regis, that
> looks like an excellent record.
>
> Many of the Roy Milton discs had interesting picture labels.
>
> I'll be able to get quite a few composers out of this, I'll bet, and I'm
> probably missing at least one of the Zonophones from the listing.
>
> Tyrone

I have Regis 5000 and Delta D-10-3-4.
 From Lord:
Sidney Catlett And The Regis All Stars:
Charlie Shavers (tp) Edmond Hall (cl) Frank Socolow (ts) Eddie Heywood
(p) Oscar Pettiford (b) Sidney Catlett (d)
New York, May 1, 1944
S1183    Blues in room 920    Delta D-10-1-2, Regis 5000
     Sweet Georgia Brown         -
S1185    Blue skies    Regis 5000
Note: Delta D-10-1-2 issued as by Ed Hall and the Big City Jazzmen.
Regis 5000 issued as by Sid Catlett and the Regis All Stars.
All above titles also on Classics (F)974 [CD].

Sid Catlett And The Big City Jazzmen:
Edmond Hall out
New York, May 1, 1944
     Blue skies    Delta D-10-3-4
     Thermo-dynamics         -
Note: Delta D-10-3 and D-10-4 issued as by Sid Catlett and the Big City
Jazzmen.
Both above titles also on Classics (F)974 [CD].

"Blue Skies" on Delta is not "Blues Skies", but "Thermo-dynamics" seems
to be based on it! The balance on Regis is poor and favours the pianist.

      Julian Vein