[78-L] Charleston Cabin on Victor

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Sep 15 04:42:54 PDT 2010

I just saw that Vic 19304-B by Whitey Kaufman's Orig. Penns. Serenaders
(21 Mar 1924) exists in 2 versions with slightly diff. titles:
1 - In a Charleston Cabin (Song Melancholy);
2 - Charleston Cabin (Song Melancholy).
Both mention the Spanish title "(En una Cabana de Charleston)".
Both have the same label type: batwing with rim text along lower half (9h-3h).
Title in Rust-6 as "In A Charleston Cabin (Song Melancholy)".
Also issued on HMV B-1854 but no label image available.

Another issue of the tune is Br 2666-B by Ray Miller, titled:
CHARLESTON CABIN (La choza en Charleston).

The California Ramblers made:
Co 171-D Charleston Cabin (30 Jun 1924), comp. Roy Reber, and
Bell P-291 In a Charleston Cabin (8 Aug 1924) (acc. to Rust-6; label not seen).

All library references to the 1924 sheet music by Holden-Reber mention it as:
Charleston Cabin (Song Melancholy) - Performer: Whitey Kaufman and his orchestra.
And the available sheet music image reads:
"Originally introduced by Whitey Kaufman and his Orchestra Victor Record Artists".

What title was used on the first Victor pressing?
I would guess "In a ...", which is the same as the Spanish translation, and after
publication of the sheet music this was changed.
Which title is shown in Victor catalogues of 1924/25/26 ?
I assume that a later (1925/26) cat. lists the revised version of the tune title.

Han Enderman