[78-L] Irving Aaronson on Vocalion

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Tue Sep 14 10:57:40 PDT 2010

Greetings from FixitLand!

Taylor Bowie wrote:

> 4.  A couple of the disks have a ghastly power hum in the
> recording...about
> the worst I've heard.  This seemed to have happend frequently with
> Vocalions
> of the era.  Why did this happen,  and did it show up on equipment
> at the
> time?

OKeh, lessee now...

Vocalion 25004 and 25005 by Aaronson (3 Aug 1933; 13697/700)
Vocalion 2527 and 2583 by Fletcher Henderson (18 Aug 1933; 13827/30)

The Henderson sides have a good dose of hummmmmmm on them too.
Something was amiss in the recording equipment that summer, I
trow...and that problem would affect not just Vocalions but
Brunswick, Melotone and all the dime-store ARC labels.

I've not heard Aaronson Vocalions (yet).

Look at that hum in a positive light...you can accurately set the
record speed based on it...<grin>

Take care,

Joe
—