[78-L] Irving Aaronson on Vocalion

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Sep 13 19:48:12 PDT 2010

I don't think there was a hotter or more punchy white dance band recording
in 1933 than that of Irving Aaronson on Vocalion.  I've had a numner of
questions running around in my head about the group,  and those 1933 records
in particular.

1.  Rumor and some authorities have always said that it's Gene Krupa on the
drums on these 1933 Aaronsons.  I've listened to them for years and agree
that it is he.  Is this still the general consensus about these sides?

2.  Any idea who was writing the arrangements?  They are sure unlike other
records of the same tunes...radically different and way hotter in almost
every case,  even on he slower tempo numbers.    No stocks here.

3.Did  pianist Horace Diaz come directly to Aaronson from the Julie Wintz
band?  Perhaps he was writing some of these great charts...his piano work on
these (ensemble and solo) is flat out fabulous.  He did do arrangements
later on for Charlie Barnet,  and both arranged and played  second piano for
Eddie Duchin (Diaz playing second to Duchin is as painful a musical irony as
I can imagine).

4.  A couple of the disks have a ghastly power hum in the recording...about
the worst I've heard.  This seemed to have happend frequently with Vocalions
of the era.  Why did this happen,  and did it show up on equipment at the
time?

5.  Although Rust lists Ernie Mathias as vocal on  "That's How Rhythm Was
Born" it is not he,  and the label credits the vocal to Harmon Nelson.
Movie trivia phreaks will recognize him as the band-leading first husband of
Bette Davis.  Is Harmon Nelson credited on any other records of the era?

Thanks in advance,  as always.

Taylor