[78-L] Never Know What You'll Find

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Sep 13 14:31:44 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
To: <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Never Know What You'll Find

> Especially surprising since that's John Tefteller's backyard, and you
> would think anything of value in town would be in his possession.
>
> Cary Ginell

A friend of mine used to say "Even Homer was known to nod."  He meant Homer
the poet,  not Homer Simpson,  and I've never been sure what it means
exactly,  but I think he was saying that even the smart guys can't be on top
of it all,  all of the time.

I once bought a wonderful batch of jazz records from a scout who had found
them at a yard sale in Seattle,  One Oliver Gennett,  about a dozen
Armstrong Okehs,  a Savannah Syncopators  Brunswick,  etc.    And this yard
sale was literally right around the corner from the home of a very
well-known jazz record collector,  who for some reason decided not to bother
looking.  This often happens...it's the "Grass is Always Greener somewhere
else" syndrome.

There is a house near where I live which has a perpetual yard sale going
on...totally illegal  but they get away with it.  After months of driving
by,  I finally stopped to see what was there in the way of books,  records,
paper,  etc.   All shit,  except for Bluebird #5000...the first in the buff
series.  Two Jimmie Rodgers tunes off of Victor.  about E condition...and a
nice buy for a buck.

Taylor

Taylor