[78-L] Not So Quiet, Please - F. Marks?

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 18:16:50 PDT 2010

Taylor,

Marks was indeed a talented man. He was very busy in radio and recordings in
the late thirties in New York. He was a Schillinger student, and became a
very well-known Schillinger teacher both in NY and when he relocated to the
west coast in the forties; remember that Schillinger was THE course of study
for arrangers into the 1950s. Marks never got into the world of stock
arrangements; he was too busy in radio and free-lance arranging for
recordings.

Some of the earliest credits which interest big band historians are his
arrangements for the 1936 Artie Shaw band with the string quartet. Shaw
claimed that Marks was one of the few arrangers who really understood how to
write for that ensemble. In fact, there were only two sides from that group
that Shaw selected for the Bluebird Self-Portrait box, and one of them is a
piece called "Cream Puff" written by Marks. The other major big band he
wrote for that we know for sure was Charlie Barnet; at least 12 titles exist
at the Smithsonian in the Barnet collection. He recorded a date under his
own name for Variety which ironically are not very good.

He composed at least three pieces for the Kenton Innovations Orchestra, all
of which are excellent examples of symphonic music with jazz and big band
elements. He was a composer/orchestrator with Disney from about 1956-65. His
name turns up in cues for Mr. Magoo and Burke's Law.

I understand he wrote some concert music, but I've never heard any of it. I
wish I had caught up with him, but he passed away in 1976, and I was still
in college, some years before I had any real contact with many of my heroes.

Jeff