[78-L] Victor's Chicago recordings

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Sep 11 14:34:42 PDT 2010

Greetings from FixitLand!

On Sep 11, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Bryan Wright wrote:

> Can anyone tell me when Victor opened a permanent Chicago recording
> studio? Sutton and Nauck, in "American Record Labels and Companies"
> suggest that as late as 1924, Victor was still sending its portable
> field unit when making recordings in Chicago. Considering that
> Brunswick had a Chicago studio as early as 1921, I'm surprised that
> Victor would still be relying on a field unit for recordings there
> three years later.

I'd very much like to know that too.

All I have at hand regarding Victor Chicago studios, from various
sources, is: There was a studio at 952 N. Michigan Avenue in the late
1920s ('27 or '28?), before that Victor recorded in the area with
portable gear (at the Webster Hotel, for instance). Later, there was
a facility in Suite 1143 of the Merchandise Mart, 222 W. North Bank
Street, with at least one and probably two studios ("Chicago A"). How
long Victor used that facility, I dunno for sure; at least into the
'40s. I also don't know if those studios relate to the NBC facility
there.

I was hoping the online EDVR would show the specific studio use on
their pages, but as yet they haven't.

Any information regarding Victor studios and their locations is
welcomed! I've been "massaging" the Abrams files and trying to
ascertain which studios were used for which sides.

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"