[78-L] Pre Dog Questions

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Sep 7 19:23:43 PDT 2010

From: "jeffrey smedbron" <bottomlessattic at yahoo.com>
> Found this Pre dog Victor last week and noticed the date, some initials
> and
> title info is scribed in the area behind the label. Is this how these
> Victors
> were all identified at this time ? It also has a matrix number of 3532
> above the
> label. Is this a first issue. ?  Is it known how many of this issue were
> produced ?

This was how matrices were "kept track of" at Victor...I presume for many
years?! Up here in Canada, Victors did NOT have this area of the matrix
removed in processing until c. 1912...so the handwritten artist/title/matrix
number/take info is usually visible to some extent on Canadian Victor
discs. In the US, this centre area was removed when the "sunken labels"
were created during processing.

Steven C. Barr