[78-L] Bring a truck, Jeanette Isabella

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Sep 7 10:49:15 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Forwarded from 78-C. Just what you always wanted! No, Steve, I don't want
> them
> shipped to the Post Office at Lewiston.
>
> On 9/6/2010 11:00 PM, 78records at cdbpdx.com wrote:
>> Anybody near Portland, Oregon want over half a ton of old 78s for $100?
>> Lots of labels, including early Emerson, Silvertone, OKEH-early and
>> later, Romeo, Brunswick, and more.  Lots of 'Disc Jockey' samples. Record
>> dates range from 190?-late 1950s.  Pretty much what you'd expect.  Good
>> assortment of artists.  Of course, Bing Crosby, Frankie Laine, Benny
>> Goodman, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Charlie Barnet, Frank Sinatra, Andrews
>> Sisters, Rudy Vallee, Phil Harris, Tommy Dorsey and Jimmy Dorsey, Dinah
>> Shore, Jo Stafford, Peggy Lee, Spike Jones, and other popular folks from
>> the 1920s-1950s are well represented, but there are a lot of others, too.
>> Large selection of old country-western with Tex Ritter, Texas Jim
>> Roberson, Bob Wills, lots more.  In addition, there are a lot of
>> not-so-popular folks represented, some that probably didn't make a whole
>> lot of records, but their stuff is good, too.  About 15% classical.
>> No more storage space.  Have to get them out of here before the rain
>> starts.  Most are boxed and ready to go.
>> Bring a pick-up or van.
>> Email:  78records at cdbpdx.com
>> Thanks!

Well. he doesn't suggest postal mail...and I don't so far own a motor
vehicle
(I may correct this at some later point?!) so it looks like you (Lennick)
are
saved from having to haul 1000+ lbs. (2000+ 78's) from Lewiston to
Oshawa...! OTH, I wonder how many of these are phonorecords which
I already own...and how many might fill gaps in my stated goal of "EF78REM
(or data thereon?!)?!"

Of course, the other harsh reality is that I am running into a MAJOR
shortage of milk boxes; I am probably going to have to purchase a
power saw, and cut new 1/2" plywood "bottoms" for my growing
accumulation of "bottom-failed" milk boxes (boci?!)...?!

I do NOT take milk boxes from stores or dairy outlets (i.e. "steal"
them?!) I take them only after they have been "stolen" by other
folks and then left behind wherever they were used for "temporary"
seating or moving stuff...?!

So far, this has left me about 6 mb's behind my 78 holdings...
meaning I have 78's stacked EVERYWHERE! The good part is
that my half-vast accumulations of shellac (probably c. 5 tons
on the second [first+one half?] floor?!) do not appear to have
affected the integrity of my c.1869 abode?! They simply built
MUCH better then, compared to current houses which will
probably disintegrate if/when we suffer a tornado or even a
substantial wind storm...?!

At this point the house has successfully survived the "installation"
of about 35,000 shellac phonorecords (17,500 lbs. or almost
nine tons [old system] of shellac...?!)...most of which are stored
on the second floor...?!

All of us "pack rats" gradually crowd ourselves out of house &
home as we accumulate objects we enjoy owning...?! It is quite
interesting to note how many "respectable" (i.e. NON-pack-rat)
people enthusiastically purchase and proudly display their
"valuable antiques" (thus improving their position in the ignored
"social dominance hierarchy")...while NEVER realizing that those
"antiques" survived their period of "obsolescence" ONLY because
some "pack rat" decided to save them...?!

Steven C. Barr